My new Website!

Please also visit my newly "re-designed website" on http://www.veradesigns.com.au/

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A New Ring: "Baby's Pacifier"

I'm playing around with making rings at the moment.  I had a bit of scrap clay left over from a cane that included some translucent clay. 

So I wadded up a bit of it and really liked the look.  I formed it into a little bowl and began to get some really good ideas on what to do with it.  I could have filled the bowl with resin, perhaps even wired in some seed beads and other stuff.  But instead had a look into my shoe box of treasures and found this perfectly sized black agate stone.

Then I had to find a way to connect the stone to the polymer clay bowl and to the ring frame.  That was easy... inserted a head pin into the black stone and wired through the ring base and covered it all up (the machanicals) with another bit of left over clay.  And there you go.

Ronna Sarvas Weltman's book "Ancient Modern" off my personal library shelf was a good reference for what I had in mind.  This book contains a fantastic gallery on polymer clay and wire.

3 comments:

Pam Annesley said...

Love your ring hector! pam

Hector Vera said...

Thanks, Pam! And I just had a look at your ring and I love it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Been thinking about making a PMC ring. But now that I have been playing with Bronze Clay... may have a go at that one first.

http://pamannesley.blogspot.com/2010/03/recent-work.html

I will definately have to take Kate McKinnon's book "Structural Metal Clay" off the shelf to read about those great ideas for constructing rings and boxes in metal clay that you mentioned on your blog.

Pedralba said...

Unique looking Piece, that sounded really complex connecting everything. I'd just give up and use super glue.