My new Website!

Please also visit my newly "re-designed website" on http://www.veradesigns.com.au/

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Have you ever "Captured" an Angel?

Well I did, after a fantastic class with MARY HETTSMANSPERGER from America.  I learned how to burn copper with a gel flux, fold, wrap, cut with a screw driver and alter the surface to achieve amazing results and so much more at this class held at the Eclectic Studio in Sydney.

This is a locket that I created by forging copper sheets and wrapping wire.  If you look closely you will see an image behind the textured strips.

Yep, you guessed it.  It's an angel captured between a sheet of mica and copper, all secured with rivets so that he doesn't get away.

Mary Hettsmansperger is the author of - "Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet" and the wonderful "Fabulous Woven Jewelry".  She has a new book out now called "Mixed Metal Jewelry Workshop: Combining Sheet, Clay, Mesh, Wire & More".

Mary Hettmansperger has been a much sought-after crafts teacher for 25 years. A successful author and magazine contributor, she appears regularly on the PBS show Beads, Baubles & Jewels.

The image on the right (pod) with cube beads, I purchased from Mary.  I love her work and just had to take home a piece of Mary H.  I shall wear it proudly.  Thanks, Mary!  I think that the cubes are made from Bronze Clay with a patina finish with liver of sulphur.  It's got an organic feel about it, doesn't it?

Please click on any image(s) to see larger view.




1 comment:

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Wow, your captured angel pendant is fantastic, Hector. You did so well with the lttle rivets. I loved the workshop, too - thanks for your company and letting me borrow some of your metal tools. Hope to catch up with you again soon.