My new Website!

Please also visit my newly "re-designed website" on http://www.veradesigns.com.au/

Friday, January 22, 2010

Primitive Sacred Heart

This piece is an influence from my Latin American culture.  I can recall images of the sacred heart during my childhood and while attending church services with my grandmother.   The Sacred Heart (also known as the Sacred Heart of Jesus) is one of the most famous religous devotions to Jesus' physical heart as the representation of His divine love of Humanity.

I built this with PMC and Faux Bone.  The two pieces are fastened with copper tube rivets; so essentially the heart is floating on top of the Faux Bone which I painted with acrylic paints to give it the look of time worn timber. I roughed up the faux bone with a checkering file prior to applying the acrylic paints.

A fabulous invention by Robert Dancik:  "Faux Bone" is a new, user friendly, inexpensive and extremely versatile material. Faux Bone™ can be cut, and carved, sawn and sanded. It can be filed, hammered, polished, drilled, stamped, riveted, inlayed, dyed, and painted. It can look like ivory, have the patina of aged ceramic, be polished to a pure white, or, of course, look like bone".

No comments: